At this year's Independent Show, the American Cable Association presented the annual Lyn Simpson Grassroots Spirit Award to Chad Winters, manager of TV operations at Cass Cable TV in Virginia, Ill.
"It's an honor to be recognized for my contributions to the grassroots activities," Winters said. "As an independent operator, we are very fortunate to have the ACA on our side, working on our behalf."
The award is presented to a company or individual that embodies the passion and commitment that Lyn Simpson brought to the small operator community in her role as an ACA founding member in the early 1990's. The award recognizes commitment, dedication, sacrifice and significance to independent cable businesses, the ACA said.
The ACA also presented the ACA PAC Leadership Award, which went to WOW! The award goes annually to the ACA member company that demonstrates awareness of the importance of the ACA PAC to help both Democratic and Republican candidates in the U.S. House and Senate who are concerned about the well-being of independent cable operators and their customers.
"We're blessed to be in this industry. It's been very good to us, and we need to do everything we can to honor and support it in return," WOW! President and CEO Colleen Abdoulah told the ACA members.
The ACA also announced that five current broad members were each returned to serve new three-year terms based on the results of a private vote by the ACA’s membership.
The following individuals won reelection:
- Allan Block, chairman of the board of Block Communications (Buckeye Cablevision, Ohio)
- Doug Fuller, adviser to NPG Cable (Missouri)
- John Gdovin, vice president of operations of PatriotMedia (Choice Cable, New Jersey)
- Jim Gleason, president and CEO of NewWave Communications (Missouri)
- Terry Nidiffer, vice president of product development of General Communications (Arkansas)