Just a few weeks after Corning announced it was boosting its optical fiber production, the company is sinking $150 million into expanding production facilities in its Benton Park Plant in Benton Township, Pa., which will add approximately 2,000 jobs to the area.
The plant there manufactures erbium-doped amplifier modules and dispersion compensation modules, which Corning wants to increase production of by 50 percent and 200 percent ,respectively.
Corning says it is trying to be proactive in responding to its broadening customer base and anticipates continued strong demand.
In other Corning news, the company is closing its previously announced $3.6 billion deal to acquire Pirelli's 90 percent interest in its optical components and devices business. Corning picked up the remaining 10 percent from Cisco.
Pirelli manufactures lithium niobate modulators, pump lasers, specialty fibers and fiber gratings.