Stick a fork in Time Warner Cable’s former Road Runner website now that the nation’s second-largest cable operator has launched a new web portal.
The new web portal, TWC Central, collects news, product and services information, social networking and entertainment on to one site under Time Warner Cable’s brand.
“Our former Road Runner portal was a very popular online destination among Time Warner Cable’s Internet customers. TWC Central enhances our offering and broadens its focus to become a valuable resource for all customers,” said Steven Cook, Time Warner Cable’s senior vice president and general manager of high-speed data. “The new portal offers more content, utilities and features that allow our customers to connect with news, information, and each other.”
A spokeswoman for Time Warner Cable said the TWC Central web portal was developed both in-house and with vendors. Time Warner Cable worked with Cisco on the TV section, which included including listings, show and actor pages.
After Time Warner spun Time Warner Cable off in 2009, the cable operator continued to use the Road Runner name for its data services. Time Warner Cable started phasing out the Roadrunner brand in 2011 and introduced new Internet tier names last year.
Bright House Networks has also used the Road Runner brand in the past, but has migrated to the same web portal as Time Warner Cable with its own information.
Aside of all of the consumer-facing information on TWC Central, there’s also an advertising element to the new web portal. TWC Central’s design gives advertisers new advertising opportunities such as photo galleries, new webmail and banner ad positions, such as 300 x 600 banners. Time Warner Cable said those ad spaces would be added to the existing opportunities, including media ads, such as peel back, pushdown, wallpaper, webmail sponsorship, “In Banner Listing” and “In Banner Video.”
“Time Warner Cable Media is excited about the new engagement opportunities TWC Central will afford our clients,” said Joan Gillman, Time Warner Cable Media executive vice president and chief operating officer. “As the largest Time Warner Cable web property, this enhanced portal provides clients with a scalable way to deliver their message on a local level.”
Time Warner Cable said TWC Central has more than 5.7 million visitors a month. Some of the features for the new web portal include:
• News, Entertainment and Sports – Access news and entertainment headlines, along with original content available only from TWC Central.
• Products and Services – One-click access to TWC email, TWC.com, Time Warner Cable Business Class, Time Warner Cable Media, MyServices, search, help, apps, how-to videos, DVR manager and VoiceZone for Home Phone. Customers can access live TV with TWCTV.com outside of the home to watch more than 1,100 hours of On Demand TV shows and movies from 26 top-rated networks, and up to 11 live TV news, sports and entertainment channels.
• Interactive TV listings – Check local TV listings, view show details, cast information, and create a personalized TV schedule.
• Better Social Networking –Personalization of the TWC Central web portal and login with social media credentials to comment, share, rate, review and chat with users.
• Time Warner Cable News – Company-related updates on new channels, features, sweepstakes, and other information related to Time Warner Cable.