The American Cable Association has reelected Steve Friedman as its chairman and James Bruder as its vice chairman.
Friedman is chief operating officer of Wave Broadband in Kirkland, Wash., and Bruder is CEO of Harron Communications in Frazer, Pa. Both will serve another two-year term.
ACA President and CEO Matthew Polka said, "From working closely with Steve and Jim for many years, I have a deep appreciation for their tremendous leadership skills, but they also have an incredible commitment and ability to guide this great ACA organization at a time when so much is at stake for the independent cable operator community."
The following were elected as directors:
- Colleen Abdoulah, chairwoman and CEO of WOW! in Englewood, Colo.
- Patricia Jo Boyers, president of Boycom in Poplar Bluff, Mo.
- Martin Brophy, president and CEO of Shen-Heights TV in Shenandoah, Pa.
- Robert Gessner, president of Massillon Cable TV in Massillon, Ohio
The elections were held at the Independent Show. Also at the show, the ACA bestowed the following awards.
ACA Eagle Award: Martin Brophy, president and CEO of Shen-Heights TV Associates
- The Eagle Award is presented to an ACA member, typically an ACA board member, with 15 years of service in the cable industry whose achievements during that period have significantly benefited the cable industry and have served as an inspiration to his or her colleagues.
Lyn Simpson Grassroots Spirit Award: Jim Beattie, assistant general counsel of Bevcomm Communications
- The Lyn Simpson Award goes to a company or individual embodying the passion and commitment that Lyn brought to the small operator community in her role as an ACA founding member in the early 1990s. The award underscores the value of commitment, dedication and sacrifice to the independent cable business.
ACA Board Service Award: Dave Baum (formerly of JetBroadband)
- The Board Service Award is given to recognize the service and commitment of an ACA board member stepping down from that position. Baum was the owner and operator of both Helicon Cable and JetBroadband. Baum was also the founder of JetBroadband.
ACA PAC Individual Leadership Award: Colleen Abdoulah, president and CEO of WOW!
- The PAC Individual Award recognizes enthusiasm, dedication and support for the ACA PAC and for creating a culture of knowledge within the company regarding the ACA PAC's important role and purpose.
In a related matter, Polka also presented the ACA PAC Leadership Award to Buckeye Communications, based in Toledo, Ohio.
The PAC Leadership Award honored Buckeye for more than doubling its PAC contribution totals and significantly increasing the number of ACA PAC donors in the past year.