The article on DOCSIS 3.0 reverse path design (story here) has two companion pieces, also from author
• Part 2: Reverse Path Design for DOCSIS 3.0 and Beyond – Optical Link Dynamic Range
• Part 3: Reverse Path Design for DOCSIS 3.0 and Beyond – Link Budget and System Set-Up
The digital transition might cause only minimal disruption for pay TV service providers, but it’s still an opportunity to shore up operations. In The Centralization of Decentralization: Increase Profitability While Preparing for Digital Conversion, Art Smuck, ATC Logistics & Electronics’ VP and GM of operations, argues that there’s money to be saved in reorganizing the supply chain leading in advance of the digital transition.
Be Our Guest: In DPI Platforms: Next Pot Of Gold For Telecommunications, Manish Singh, VP of product line management at Continuous Computing, argues that deep packet inspection (DPI) is going to be a critical enabler of traffic management, quality of service, tiered bandwidth allocation, tiered service level agreements, unified threat management, intrusion detection, prevention systems, and more.
• Alcatel-Lucent: Please join us on Dec. 11 for Enabling Profitable Business Services Evolution.
How can cable operators build on their momentum in the commercial services market to expand the scale of the business, create new business service offerings, and reach out to new markets and customers? Leveraging a highly reliable, flexible and resilient network ensures that an operator can deliver carrier services and support critical business voice and data applications. Extending service reach and scaling operations efficiently using service routing, carrier-grade optical access and transport, and powerful, yet simple, operations and management tools are keys to ensuring profitability. Sign up now!
• BigBand Networks: Paths to Personalization. BigBand’s Biren Sood compares and contrasts the economics associated with a suite of technological options for personalization of video services, including switched digital video and IPTV. Listen to the archived broadcast.
• Juniper Networks: Bringing Intelligence to the Services Edge. Juniper’s Mike Sheehan discusses how to make the network do the work of figuring out how to dedicate the appropriate resources to each customer. Listen to the archived broadcast.