After golden run at Olympics, Adobe unveils TV Everywhere enhancements
Coming on the heels of a successful trial run at the Olympics, Adobe Systems announced it has upgraded its Adobe Pass platform to its second version.
Adobe put Adobe Pass 2.0 through its paces during the recent 2012 London Olympic Games, which served as a milestone for TV Everywhere services.
Adobe Pass supported NBCUniversal’s Olympic Games’ user verification efforts, which resulted in more than 88 million authenticated streams to U.S. viewers, the highest number recorded for a single event in TV Everywhere history, according to a blog post by Todd Greenbaum, senior product manager for Adobe Pass.
Desktop consumption in the U.S. accounted for 70 percent of authenticated streams, while smartphones and tablets combined for the remaining 30 percent (with iOS leading by 81 percent and Android serving 19 percent of the streams). A total of roughly 7 million TV subscriber households accessed authenticated streams online from roughly 10 million authenticated devices.
Comcast and Cablevision used the “auto-authentication” element of Adobe Pass during the Olympic Games, and both saw an authentication success rate that was 23 percent higher than pay-TV operators that didn’t use it, according to Greenbaum.
Adobe Pass 2.0 also features a “free preview” feature that gives customers temporary access to premium TV content for a predetermined amount of time. Free preview connects subscribers while they wait for their user credentials to be verified.
Coming this fall, Adobe Pass will introduce its “server side API” for programmers to support a broad range of devices. The API enables content providers to integrate authentication within native applications from virtually any connected device, ensuring faster time to market and allowing customers to expand the reach of TV Everywhere to the broadest possible audience.
Adobe Pass is currently being used by more than 150 pay-TV providers and supports more than 40 sites and mobile apps from 25 major networks, including Fox, ESPN, CNN, TNT, MTV and Disney. Approximately 98 percent of pay-TV households in the U.S. are now able to view TV content via the Adobe Pass service.
In addition to the Olympics, Adobe Pass was also used during NCAA March Madness, the NBA Finals and UEFA Euro 2012 soccer.
“As TV Everywhere gains momentum, a transformation is occurring in how consumers engage with, and broadcast and cable networks monetize, TV content,” Greenbaum wrote. “We’ve seen a tenfold increase in authenticated streams in the first six months of 2012, and Adobe Pass has been used for a number of major events already this year.”