Study: Dish, Bright House earn high marks for customer experience
Bright House Networks and Dish Network held down the top spots among the 10 companies surveyed for customer experience in the TV sector by Temkin Research Group.
On the other hand, Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications were the lowest-rated TV companies in the 2013 Temkin experience ratings.
“Bad customer experience is an ongoing epidemic in the TV services sector. Even the best firm in the industry is rated in the bottom third of all companies,” said Bruce Temkin, managing partner of Temkin Group.
Cable operators have been battling the public’s perception of poor customer satisfaction by providing more training for their customer service reps. Comcast  and Charter  have taken steps to reduce video churn through better customer service.
Overall, the TV industry scored the lowest out of the 19 industries that were covered in the Temkin ratings. The ratings evaluated three areas of customer experience: functional (can customers do what they want to do), accessible (how easy it is to work with the company), and emotional (how consumers feel about their interactions).
The rest of the video providers covered in the ratings included AT&T, Cablevision, Cox Communications, DirecTV, and Verizon. Highlights from the study included:
• The top TV service providers Bright House Networks and Dish Network (tied for 166th out of all 246 companies in the ratings across industries) were rated lower than even the worst company in the parcel delivery service, grocery, and fast food industries. While these top two companies earned “okay” ratings, the rest of the companies in the industry earned either “poor” or “very poor” ratings
• The last place company in the industry, Time Warner Cable, earned the 244th ranking, tied for next to last across all industries
• The second-to-last TV service provider, Charter Communications, improved eight points over last year, the largest gain in the industry
• Cox Communications’ rating decreased six points from 2012, the largest drop in the industry
• Dish Network was the highest rated in the functional component, Cablevision was highest rated in accessible, and Bright House Networks was highest rated in the emotional component
• Cox Communications had the lowest functional rating while Time Warner Cable had the lowest accessible and emotional ratings
• Overall, the average rating for the industry remained about the same between 2012 and 2013.