SCTE, Georgia Tech partner on management development program
As part of its ongoing effort to provide professional development opportunities in the cable industry, the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers announced this morning that it has teamed up with Georgia Tech on a new management development program.
The initiative, which is called the Cable Industry Management Program, was designed to advance the practical management skills of high-potential, mid-level cable engineering and operations management professionals.
The program, which is the newest element of the SCTE Leadership Institute, will offer participants the opportunity to acquire or improve the strategic and tactical skills needed to succeed within corporate environments, plan and execute projects, and manage in-house and external resources.
The one-week program, which will be conducted annually, complements the SCTE-Tuck Executive Leadership Program at Dartmouth College .
"The overwhelmingly positive feedback from our SCTE-Tuck program and the input we've received from the operator and vendor communities have made it clear that the industry sees a benefit from these educational programs," said Daniel Howard, senior vice president of engineering and CTO of the SCTE. "Georgia Tech's ability to combine business and technology into a single course of study will serve as a catalyst for helping cable engineers to advance their careers and bring greater value to their employers."
The first program is scheduled for May 7-11 on Georgia Tech's Atlanta campus.
Topics will include:
- Developing a technology strategic plan
- Understanding financial statements for the cable industry
- Managing technology projects
- Leading and managing high-performing teams
- Understanding outsourcing arrangements
- Cable industry technology and business trends
- Justifying technology investments for network expansion and reliability
- Radio frequency network management
- Managing change in technology implementations
- Managing vendors in the cable industry.
The SCTE said applications for admission to the SCTE-Georgia Tech Cable Industry Management Development Program will become available shortly. More information is available online .