Cablevision gets aggressive with new triple play
Cablevision Systems has crafted a new triple-play package that includes one of the lowest-priced 50 Mbps tiers in the broadband business, coupled with the company's unique PC to TV Media Relay, rebranded with a short and snappy new name.
Cablevision's Ultimate Triple Play incorporates the 50 Mbps data service (8 Mbps on the upstream), VoIP and more than 275 video channels. Cablevision is also including a Wi-Fi (802.11n) router, which is new to any Cablevision package, according to a company spokesman.
The promotional introductory price for the Ultimate Triple Play is $99.80 per month.
PC to TV Media Relay was the original name for the company's ability to take content on subscribers' PCs and shift it through its video infrastructure to play it on a dedicated video channel on the subscribers' TV sets. That includes streamed video, music, pictures and documents. That service is now being called Optimum Link, in keeping with the company's other residential services, which all carry the Optimum brand.
Jonathan Hargis, Cablevision's executive vice president of marketing, said: "The Ultimate Triple Play takes our compelling value proposition, across all three services, and ties it together with faster Internet speeds, Optimum Link and an advanced wireless router that is a perfect complement to our new Optimum App for iPad. We believe this will be an extremely popular offer, with new customers looking for the advantages of our core services combined with our latest technological innovations."
Cablevision's catalog of the Ultimate Triple Play says it includes:
- More than 275 channels of iO TV digital cable, including free HD, and access to video-on-demand, including thousands of free titles, local programming from News 12 and MSG Varsity and other benefits
- Optimum Online Boost Plus high-speed Internet service, delivering downstream speeds of up to 50 Mbps and up to 8 Mbps upstream, and including free access to Optimum Wi-Fi's tens of thousands of wireless Internet access points across Cablevision's service area
- An Advanced Wireless Router (802.11n), delivering the highest standard of in-home Wi-Fi speed and security and a perfect complement to the recently launched Optimum App for iPad
- Optimum Link, which allows customers to use Cablevision's network to display PC content on home televisions with a click of the mouse, and without any additional equipment, included at no additional charge
- Optimum Voice, with 18 popular calling features at no additional charge, including 411 directory assistance and unlimited calling across the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
Optimum Online Boost Plus, a new level of high-speed Internet service, is available to any existing Optimum Online customer for an additional $14.95, on top of the price of basic Optimum Online service, and includes Optimum Link at no additional charge. Optimum Link is available separately to iO TV digital cable customers for an additional fee of $4.95 per month.