Comcast adding even more features, apps to X1
Comcast’s X1 triple-play customers will eventually be able to live stream personal video from their mobile devices, over the Internet, directly to the television. The feature tops a list of forthcoming enhancements that include changes in the guide, and new apps.
Comcast is demonstrating the new live streaming feature, which will be part of Xfinity Voice, but does not expect to commercialize it until the beginning of 2015.
“Imagine you’re in Philadelphia and can live stream your son’s tee-ball game to his grandparents’ TV in San Francisco,” said Marcien Jenckes, executive vice president of consumer services for Comcast Cable.
In addition to live streaming, the X1 guide is being updated. New guide features and functions include:
- Spanish Guide & Navigation: This new in-language guide and menu labels will provide greater convenience for Spanish-speaking customers navigating the platform and its entertainment choices.
- Live Last 9: In the past, when X1 customers tap “Last” on their remote controls, they see static tiles of the last nine things they viewed. Now, when customers hover over one of their last nine selections, that tile will be “live,” essentially creating a picture-in-picture that lets the viewer see what’s happening on one of their previously viewed channels.
- Talking Guide: TV viewers who are blind or visually impaired often lack context or direction to find a program to watch. This will begin to change later this year when Comcast launches “Voice Guidance,” the nation’s first voice-guided TV interface.
- Personal, Prioritized Guide: This guide setting will allow customers to select their favorite networks that will appear first whenever the guide is launched.
- Kids Guide: Common Sense Media ratings will now be applied to live TV listings in addition to On Demand content.
There will also be some changes in on-demand accessibility through X1. Instant On Demand allows customers to begin watching certain programs through Xfinity On Demand menu immediately after the live broadcast begins. On Demand Notifications will let customers know when select shows are available on Xfinity On Demand.
New apps coming to the platform include:
- Xfinity Home App: Customers can adjust the thermostat, manage lighting and watch camera footage, right from their TV. Also allows X1 customers to manage their home controls from their mobile device.
- Family Point App: App will enable families at home to see the most recent location of their family members, who have chosen to be connected through their smartphone, and leave sticky notes for each other that will appear when the TV is turned on.
- Xfinity Voicemail App: App will allow X1 customers to playback and record voicemails on the TV, including readable voicemail.
The X1 platform combines customized apps, social media features and traditional video services to deliver a personalized and dynamic TV entertainment experience. X1 is presently available in all Xfinity TV markets and the company will continue to roll out the platform to new and existing customers.