Cablevision creates app for Apple, Android devices
Cablevision has created a free application – for the Apple App Store and the Android Market – that allows its subscribers to search TV listings and manage their iO TV DVRs.
In November, Cablevision gave its subscribers – who subscribed to both DVR for iO TV and Optimum Online – the ability to program their DVRs using any mobile device with Internet access via the operator's Optimum.net mobile site.
Now Cablevision customers can access the new app using an iPhone, an iPad, and iPod Touch or an Android mobile phone.
The application supports multiple users and devices per home. Customers can find the application by searching for "Optimum" in the iTunes App Store or the Android Market.
The new application "is a valuable extension of [Cablevision's] existing browser-based remote DVR scheduling and management feature," according to John Trierweiler, Cablevision's senior vice president of product management.
"The addition of downloadable native mobile apps for DVR management also allows our customers to take further advantage of our Optimum Wi-Fi wireless Internet service, which is available in tens of thousands of locations across Cablevision's service area," he added.
Some features of the new application include:
- Search upcoming TV shows by cast, title, genre, description or keyword
- Browse comprehensive current TV listings by time, channel, or category
- Record either single episodes or an entire series onto any DVR in the home
- Delete recorded shows or cancel upcoming recordings on any DVR in the home
- Swipe to record or delete with a single click
- Supports multitasking on both platforms (Apple: iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS with iOS 4).