Insight serves up digital, other features in ‘Digital 5.0’
Insight Communications, the nation’s ninth-largest MSO, has a slate of slick new enhancements for its customers under the auspices of its “Digital 5.0” initiative.
Insight CEO Michael Willner announced the new enhancements on his blog, which included the news that Insight has “made every channel 100 percent digital for incredible picture and quality.” Like other cable operators, Insight can free up bandwidth for more HD channels, faster broadband tiers and other advanced services by shedding the analog channels.
While Willner didn’t specifically mention a DOCSIS 3.0 service, the faster broadband service could be a hint that a wideband service is inbound for Insight subscribers.
Other enhancements include a DVR service, called Total Home On Demand, that allows subscribers to start watching a VOD asset in one room and then continue watching it in another. Also on the DVR front, Insight has added overlap protection and live recording extension, which resolves recording conflicts if a show runs long – think “American Idol” – while another show is starting.
Insight will also be offering some VOD movies the same day they’re released on DVDs and extended movie rentals that allow subscribers to keep the movies up to 48 hours.
Willner said the primary focus of Digital 5.0 wasn’t specifically about adding more HD channels, but more HD channels were added, including:
- Louisville, Ky., and surrounding areas – Lifetime, WGN, Speed
- Columbus, Ohio – MSNBC, Turner Classic Movies, TruTV, CNN HN
- Lexington, Ky. – Lifetime, WGN, ABC Family
- Bowling Green, Ky. – MSNBC, Turner Classic Movies, FSN South, Cartoon Network, Disney XD, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, Speed
- Evansville, Ind., and surrounding areas – Lifetime, Fox Sports Midwest
- Northern Kentucky – Big Ten, ESPN News, Bravo, CNBC, Fox Business, Speed, ABC Family, WGN, Lifetime