The broadband component of the U.S. economic stimulus package includes provisions for grants and loans. Arris has been immersing itself in the program and said it stands ready to assist cable operators in preparing their applications for broadband stimulus funds through the Rural Utilities Service (RUS) program.
Arris said its services include:
- Eligibility assessment – a streamlined process, utilizing Arris-retained external expert resources to quickly determine an operator's probability of success to receive a grant or loan by virtue of location, broadband access in the area, and/or other criteria.
- Creation of a suitable business plan and market analysis – a comprehensive review and plan are required for submission and must outline potential subscriber take rates, pricing models, market-by-market projections and ROI analysis.
- Technical and network planning – assistance with architectural design, resource requirements, equipment needs and project implementation plans.
- Technical solution delivery, logistical engineering and integration expertise.
- Ongoing project management support.
Upon completion of the necessary financial, technical and logistical review, the operator submits the application to USDA/RUS.
Arris set up a page on its Web site (available here) for those interested in assistance.