Tellabs ups OAM & P abilities of carrier Ethernet
Tellabs has enhanced its 8800 Multi-Service Router (MSR) series with features it explains are designed to alleviate service providers’ concerns about managing, monitoring and tracking performance across carrier Ethernet networks in order to assure compliance with provisions of service level agreements (SLAs).
The enhancements to the 8800 MSR series contain added Ethernet operations, administration, maintenance and provisioning (OAM&P) functionality so that providers can efficiently manage and monitor networks from the network edge all the way to the customer site.
The new features include enhanced support for the IEEE 802.1ag and 802.3ah standards.
The new features specifically enable service providers to:
- Monitor the network's heartbeat across multiple management domains so they can take action before issues arise;
- Interoperate with third-party products, so providers have intelligence about the services they deliver over more network elements;
- Remotely conduct maintenance and manage links between provider and customer hardware;
- Receive alerts if failures occur;
- Bundle multiple links between routers into one large link; and
- Remotely detect and block loops in the network.
More Broadband Direct: